CURRENT VACANCIES (Updated as of September 2017)
Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia seeks suitably qualified candidates for the following positions:
1. HEAD OF CONSERVATION
- Require a Master Degree /PhD in Conservation, Museum Studies, Heritage, Archive, History of Arts, Fine/Visual Arts or equivalent;
- At least 10 years of experience in an active Conservation lab; knowledge of a broad range of scientific instrumentation including understanding of the history of materials;
- Knowledge and skills to research, handle, investigate, clean, stabilise and care for artefacts by knowing of the technology and materials of artistic, scientific & technological objects and of the chemical and physical process of their deterioration;
- Knowledge and demonstrable experience with simple to complex treatments on varied formats especially books, papers, paintings, woods, textiles, sculpture, metalwork, ceramics and glass;
- Must have good practical skills to handle and treat fragile and delicate materials, good colour matching skills to fill and colour losses and great innovation to discover new ways of mounting and displaying collections in exciting and creative ways;
- Enthusiasm and the ability to work effectively in collaboration with others;
- Good communication, attention to detail and excellent hand-eye coordination, a positive attitude is also a plus;
- Will assume wide-ranging responsibilities which include: surveying and project planning; treatment; disaster preparedness; pest management; handling and care training; storage and housing; managing the daily operation of the conservation laboratory and supervising subordinate staff; participating in professional development and outreach activities including tours and exhibits; ensuring compliance with international museum standards and best practices;
- Responsible for the preservation, conservation, investigation and display;
- Provides training and development within conservation;
- Responsible for managing and supporting the activities of conservation staff;
- Focussed on preparing objects for new galleries and exhibitions, or making sure that objects are sufficiently stable to travel on loan to exhibitions at national and international venues;
- Involved with examining and assessing objects in order to determine the most appropriate level of treatment required;
2. MANAGER, GRAPHIC & PHOTOGRAPHY
- Must possess at least Bachelor’s Degree from a design related field such as Fine Art & Graphic Design;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in creative development, high level editing and proofreading skills in line with organisational brand positioning, graphic designing and experience in print prepress and overseeing production of both offset and digital print, up to date knowledge of print technology;
- Excellent creative and innovative skills, management of artwork for print production and delivery of complex design projects preferably within the museums, arts or cultural sector;
- Highly developed skills in the use of the most relevant design and graphics software with practical experience in Flash and Adobe Creative Suite applications: Illustrator, Flash, Photoshop and In Design;
- Passion and enthusiasm for design, with a creative flair, detail oriented, well organized and strong interpersonal skills and effective relation building capacity with client, partner and internal team at different levels in the organization;
- Accuracy, excellent communication (both oral & written), organisational and time management skills with a proven ability to plan prioritise and meet strict deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously;
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Supervise and lead the graphic designing team; delegate job responsibilities, communicates information, helps ensure projects are profitable, oversee that quality work is being completed within the deadline; and is constantly learning about design software and marketplace trends;
- Analyze and plans concept and prepares works to be accomplished by studying, gathering information and materials according to the objectives of the project to adept them according to the objectives of the project ;
- Work in collaboration with colleagues across different departments;
- Obtains approval of concept by submitting rough layout for approval;
- Participate in designing and redesigning computer graphics, web page graphics, logos, illustrations, advertisements, brochures and many other forms of visual communication;
- Assist Museum Shop in terms of product development using museum artefacts photo/images;
- Contribute to the development including providing advice and design services for all publications and other related material promotional and campaign materials to ensure compliance with relevant guidelines as stipulated to the policies and standards of the company;
- Train and mentor junior designers and entry-level entrants;
- Leverage creative and marketing knowledge to develop new creative campaigns for specific targets;
- Completes projects by coordinating with outside agencies, art services, printers, etc.
3. GRAPHIC DESIGNER
- Min. Diploma in Graphic Design with hands on relevant working experience
- Need to be comfortable with design software, such as QuarkXPress, InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator
- Good illustration / drawing skills
- Able to work with minimum supervision, meet the tight deadline and multiple assignments
- Need to be creative thinkers – have to creatively convey ideas through text and image.
- For interview, candidates are required to bring samples of their artwork / portfolio from the past employment / studies
4. ASSISTANT CONSERVATOR (PAPER)
- Recognised professional qualification to degree level preferably in Fine Arts, Heritage Studies or equivalent.
- Experienced and have a qualified paper in painting conservator with proven experience in practical conservation works and teaching/training.
- Specialise in the treatment of paper related objects and comprehensive knowledge of conservation principles, practices, materials techniques and the aesthetic or historical significance works of arts.
- Required skill(s): good command of English language (with Grade A or B in SPM result), IT for communication and presentation.
- Strong organizational skills, time management skills, including the ability to establish priorities, meet deadlines and achieve goals.
- To carry out practical conservation and research work in the respective field.
- To assist the Head of Conservation to maintain and develop conservation skills held by staff.
- Carrying out active (preventive and interceptive) paper conservation on respective objects.
- Contributing to and working on the physical well being of the paper based and paper related objects of the collection.
- Examining and treating of paper based and paper related collection material.
- Ability to devise conservation strategies based on knowledge of materials, chemical process and aesthetic and ethical considerations.
- In depth knowledge of the history of paper, papermaking, artists’ materials and art.
5. ASSISTANT CURATOR / TRANSLATOR (ARABIC SPEAKER)
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum), master’s degree (preferred) in Art History, Museum Studies, Humanities, Anthropology and Sociology, Fine Arts or related field;
- 4-5 years of related experience is required;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Arabic (Arabic as a first language) and English;
- Ability to accurately translate handwritten and printed Arabic script to English;
- Proofreading experience;
- Excellent research and IT skills;
- Ability to prioritise tasks under pressure;
- Responsible in organising exhibitions, arranging restoration of artefacts, identifying and recording items, organising loans and dealing with enquiries.
- Responsible for a collection of artefacts or works of art;
- Carrying out background research and writing catalogues;
- Planning, organising, interpreting and presenting exhibitions and lectures;
- Collaborating with other museum departments, such as education, graphic, marketing, conservation and records & collection;
- Handling enquiries from researchers and the public;
- Conduct museum tours (training will be provided);
- Conduct translation accurately such as documents, set texts, messages and recovered media from Arabic to English or vice versa within tight timescales;
- Go through several revisions of translation before becoming final;
- Able to precise issues to key points and write clear reports
- BA/MA in humanities: History, Art, Museum Studies, Anthropology
- Good command of English /Persian / any other languages
- Ability to communicate and is a team player
- Ability to conduct research and is eager to join the museum family
- Minimum 3 years experience in related or useful field
- Responsible for the translation of all text in Persian and Turkic found on and within IAMM artefacts
- Studies the objects under his/her care
- Coordinates with Records and Collection to correct all the records in MUSIM which are in Persian language
- Required to do research for exhibitions
- Helping in the upcoming exhibition
- Conduct museum tours (after training)
7. TECHNICIAN (AIRCOND / GENERAL)
- Candidate must possess minimum SPM and/or MLVK Certificate in Civil Engineering, Diploma in Electrical or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years working experience in the related field is required for this position.
- Check and record daily the status of all components in AHUs.
- Check and record daily the status of all components at the Cooling Towers.
- Check and maintain all the Museum lighting system and all its components
- Check and monitor physically the status of all the M&E services in the building (Electrical, Air-conditioning, Fire Fighting, Cold Water &
- Sanitary Plumbing & Lift Systems)
- Check and monitor daily at FCC the following: o Air-conditioning system o Room temperature and humidity o Lift system o Fire Fighting system
- Monitor and record the performance of the sub-contractor for scheduled maintenance works.
- Carry out general handy works and minor civil works as and when required.
8. PEMBANTU KESELAMATAN – JABATAN KESELAMATAN
- Minima SPM dengan pengalaman berkaitan.
- Lelaki berumur bawah 35 tahun, sihat tubuh badan.
- Sanggup bekerja syif termasuk syif malam, hujung minggu dan cuti umum.
- Keutamaan diberikan kepada mereka yang tidak merokok dan mempunyai kenderaan sendiri.